D's limited template specialization abilities compared to C++

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun May 26 16:19:06 PDT 2013

On 26 May 2013 16:41, Ahuzhgairl <bulletproofchest at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kenji, thanks again for understanding exactly what I meant.
>
> I am a big fan of template features. I seriously hope D can do this in the
> future- the inability of the *template system* to deduce information about
> non-types is one of the big holes in C++:
>
> We can deduce information at function scope, yet the templates cannot do
> it!
> This is a strange imbalance of nature.

I presume this is Ndit from IRC?
The part that breaks my mind, is that you appeared professing you were
missing requirements for realtime critical software (and significantly more
realtime critical than my own work apparently), but then you became the
most obscure template crazed dude I've ever seen.
In my experience, the 2 are fundamentally incompatible. A realtime
programmer with requirements as strict as you claim, would avoid intensive
(ab)use of templates like the plague! :/
It really seems like you're just trying to break D in whichever way you can
(and having some trouble).
And now in 3 cases, where you have successfully 'broken' D, a helpful
member from the community has taken it upon themselves to help you and give
you what you want.
Have you actually tried working with D templates for a while. Templates
are, hands down, the strongest and most compelling feature of D. If you
actually use D for a short time, you will realise this.

Now, I tend to think the level of support shown to you is spectacular,
taking entire days of peoples time. Especially considering you've never
managed to produce an actual use cased for anything you've come up with.
But I'd like to make a suggestion that you actually USE D for a while, and
waste peoples time with REAL USE CASES where you find that your needs are
not satisfied.
D is a volunteer community, if you never plan to use these improvements,
and nobody else ever does, then you're effectively wasting their time,
which is a little unfair.