Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Sun May 26 19:17:06 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 21:23:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I have been thinking about this idea of a "reprogrammable
> keyboard", in
> that the keys are either a fixed layout with LCD labels on each
> key, or
> perhaps the whole thing is a long touchscreen, that allows
> arbitrary
> relabelling of keys (or, in the latter case, complete dynamic
> reconfiguration of layout). There would be some convenient way
> to switch
> between layouts, say a scrolling sidebar or roller dial of some
> sort, so
> you could, in theory, type Unicode directly.
>
> I haven't been able to refine this into an actual,
> implementable idea,
> though.

I've given this domain a fair bit of thought, and from my
perspective you want to throw hardware at a software problem.
Have you ever used a Japanese input method?  They're sort of a
good exemplar here, wherein you type a sequence and then hit
space to cycle through possible ways of writing it.  So "ame" can
become, あめ, 雨, 飴, etc.  Right now, in addition to my learning, I
also use it for things like α (アルファ) and Δ (デルタ).  It's limited,
but...usable, I guess.  Sort of.

The other end of this is TeX, which was designed around the idea
of composing scientific texts with a high degree of control and
flexibility.  Specialty characters are inserted with
backslash-escapes, like \alpha, \beta, etc.

Now combine the two:  An input method that outputs as usual,
until you enter a character code which is substituted in real
time to what you actually want.
Example:
"values of \beta will give rise to dom!" composes as
"values of β will give rise to dom!"

No hardware required; just a smarter IME.  Like maybe this one:
http://www.andonyar.com/rec/2008-03/mathinput/ (I'm honestly not
yet sure how mature or usable that one is as I'm a UIM user, but
it does serve as a proof of concept).