[article] Language Design Deal Breakers

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun May 26 23:31:21 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 26 May 2013 at 19:49:44 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On Sun, 26 May 2013 13:18:32 +0200
> Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org> wrote:
>>
>> Did you had the pleasure to write portable C or C++ code across
>> multiple operating systems and vendors in the mid 90's?
>>

> Luckily, no. For me it was just Win9x and DOS (using that
> awesome 32-bit
> extender DOOM and every other game of the time used, forget the
> name.
> DOS4GW?). And it was more mid-to-late 90's for me. (And then a
> little
> bit of PalmOS around 2000 or so.)
>
>> Welcome to #ifdef spaghetti code and reluctance of using
>> certain features due to inconsistent support.

Back in 2000-2001 I was responsible for making a C codebase work
across HP-UX, Solaris, Aix, Linux and Windows NT/2000, while
using the OS vendors C compilers.

Lots of fun with C standard compliance, this is where my #ifdef
spaghetti code experience comes from. And the last time I really
used C at work, before I moved definitely into C++/JVM/.NET land.

When I left the company in 2003, they were starting the
transition to .NET, by that time I was already writing C# code
with C++/CLI bindings to the "legacy" stuff.

--
Paulo