[article] Language Design Deal Breakers

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon May 27 00:53:07 PDT 2013

On 5/27/2013 12:27 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> Many people here have expressed real problem with null, a lot of documentation
> on the web exists about it as well, and most modern languages try as hard as
> possible to get rid of it (even sometime in creative way as scala does as they
> can't get rid of it completely because of java compatibility).

In D, right now (and especially with the beta) you can use the NotNull template.
Yes, there are still a couple holes in it where a null initialization can slip
through. But it catches the obvious cases, certainly well enough to demonstrate
what value there is in non-null references, and you can use it now.

I and I figure a lot of other people will be interested in the results you see.

Meanwhile, we'll work to plug the remaining holes.