Rust-based provocation :)

Dicebot m.strashun at gmail.com
Mon May 27 07:36:58 PDT 2013

On Monday, 27 May 2013 at 14:21:24 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> most minimal, few D features actually work:
> http://arsdnet.net/dcode/minimal.d
>
> slightly less minimal, with a few more things working:
> http://arsdnet.net/dcode/minimal.zip
>
> I haven't spent a lot of time on this, more just wondering if
> it could be done, so most of D still doesn't actually work but
> enough does for hello world (on linux here) at least. The
> example minimal.d program will spit out its own name and a
> newline when you run it, demonstrating command line args work,
> as well as a custom type.

Ye, there is also https://bitbucket.org/timosi/minlibd , quite a
mature attempt. But issue is not creating minimal run-time, it is
creating minimal one that still has most part of language usable.

Quoting one of reddit comments: "You still have all the other
language features, including unique pointers, generics, trait
objects, stack/unique closures, etc."

Currently possibility of D run-time tweaking is very limited by
compiler expectations about its capabilities. Automatic memory
allocation is widely known but emitting TypeInfo's for almost
everything is as much painful.