Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon May 27 14:22:29 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 09:59:52PM +0200, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Monday, 27 May 2013 at 02:17:08 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> >No hardware required; just a smarter IME.
>
> Perhaps something like the compose key?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key

I'm already using the compose key. But it only goes so far (I don't
think compose key sequences cover all of unicode). Besides, it's
impractical to use compose key sequences to write large amounts of text
in some given language; a method of temporarily switching to a different
layout is necessary.

Тише едешь, дальше будешь.