[article] Language Design Deal Breakers

Simen Kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Mon May 27 15:04:46 PDT 2013

On Sun, 26 May 2013 10:50:25 +0200, Nick Sabalausky
<SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 25 May 2013 22:14:06 -0700
> "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:
>>
>> D's unittest blocks have singlehandedly converted me from a
>> code-by-faith person full of every excuse to *not* write unittests, to
>> somebody habitually writing unittests.
>
> Same here. And I'd bet it's a common story among D users.

Yup. Well, in D. I just love this:

void foo(Args args)
in {
} body {
} out {
} unittest {
}

I won't always use all of those (I'm no good at using contracts), but
writing
'} unittest {' at the end of a function has become second nature now.

Now, opening the unit test solution, checking out the right file, waiting
for a
minute while Irrational CludgeCase tries to download a possibly updated
version
of a file it should know is already on my disk, writing a new test while
occasionally glancing at the code on my other screen to remember what the
function did, then wait for ClearCase to accept my attempt to save to file,
before finally being able to run the test...

One of these is just... simpler. Better. More sane.

--
Simen