Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon May 27 17:11:18 PDT 2013

On 5/27/2013 4:28 PM, Hans W. Uhlig wrote:
> On Monday, 27 May 2013 at 23:05:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I've recently come to the opinion that that's a bad idea, and D should not
>> support it.
>
> Why do you think its a bad idea? It makes it such that code can be in various
> languages? Just lack of keyboard support?

Every time I've been to a programming shop in a foreign country, the developers
speak english at work and code in english. Of course, that doesn't mean that
everyone does, but as far as I can tell the overwhelming bulk is done in english.

Naturally, full Unicode needs to be in strings and comments, but symbol names? I
don't see the point nor the utilty of it. Supporting such is just pointless
complexity to the language.