dlang.org/posix.mak dependencies

Borden 2013 at bordenrhodes.com
Mon May 27 17:14:06 PDT 2013

Good evening, all,

I'm making a new thread on this because my question isn't
strictly related to the DDoc issues I've mentioned in earlier
threads. Rather, it has to do with the dependencies of the
posix.mak file in the dlang.org repo (on GitHub, for greater
clarity):

posix.mak, beginning at line 236, compiles local copies of DMD,
DRuntime and Phobos. Is all of this extra compilation really
necessary for someone who, presumably, already installed D using
the installer packages?

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to see if the most current version
of DMD is installed and, if not, panic out and tell the user to
go and fetch the latest copy from the website? Then the rest of
the makefile could use the installed copies on the user's
computer rather than download and recompile them?

This question is specific to the dlang.org repo and NOT to any
other repos hosted at GitHub.