DLang Spec rewrite (?)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon May 27 17:30:27 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 00:48:02 Borden wrote:
> Oh, and another thing: XHTML adopts the XML practice of only
> defining the lt, gt and amp entities and no others (like nbsp,
> mdash, accented, or non-Latin characters).
>
> Since Unicode is, by and large, universal, I've read that the
> recommended practice for including characters not on a standard
> US keyboard is to copy them from a character map and save the
> file in a Unicode encoding. I intend to follow this guidance in
> writing the (x)html.ddoc template.
>
> As such, should I keep the existing 'entity' macros or use the
> Unicode characters in the DLang spec source files? I imagine that
> Andrei will immediately comment that .tex files are supposed to
> be in ASCII. Suggestions?

Well, it's more user-friendly to have macros for Unicode than having to figure
out how to input the actual Unicode character in there (since it's not on the
keyboard), and it's trivial to turn the macro into the actual character with
the macro, so I'd think that it would be more user-friendly to just use the
macros, especially if we're already using them. And if laTeX has to be ASCII
(I don't know if it has to be or not), then that's all the more reason to not
use Unicode directly. But regardless, if we're already using macros, why
bother changing it? Just change what the macros convert to in the XHTML
generation.

- Jonathan M Davis