More on "Component Programming"

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon May 27 18:18:13 PDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 02:16:22AM +0200, bearophile wrote:
> Sebastian Graf:
>
> >Plus, the compiler is still able to optimize most of the
> >delegate/range fluff away (as opposed to e.g. C#).
>
> There are several optimizations that D/DMD is not performing on
> those ranges and higher order functions. The Haskell compiler GHC
> optimized that stuff using purity, library defined "rewrite rules",
> stream fusion/deforestation and more.

Library-defined rewrite rules would be über-cool if it were supported in
D.

*(waits for somebody to mention "AST macros", and everyone else to shout
him down. :-P)

> DMD does nothing of this, or very little. I think so far Walter has
> shown no interest in this.
[...]

The DMD optimizer certainly leaves a lot of room for improvement. I
think Walter would accept pull requests to that effect. ;-)

Try to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out. -- theboz