Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon May 27 18:42:47 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:38:08 Peter Williams wrote:
> On 28/05/13 09:44, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Since language keywords are already in English, we might as well
> > standardize on English identifiers too.
>
> So you're going to spell check them all to make sure that they're
> English?  Or did you mean ASCII?

I think that it was more an issue of that the only reason that Unicode would
be necessary in identifiers would be if you weren't using English, so if you
assume that everyone is going to be using some form of English for their
identifier names, you can skip having Unicode in identifiers. So, a natural
effect of standardizing on English is that you can stick with ASCII.

- Jonathan M Davis