More on "Component Programming"

Peter Williams pwil3058 at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 27 21:33:39 PDT 2013

On 28/05/13 11:50, bearophile wrote:
> Peter Williams:
>
>> Are the () necessary on sort?
>
> If you don't use () I think you call the slower, not flexible and buggy
> built-in sort. I think it's already deprecated. Maybe I am wrong...

Ah.  Does that mean that import.algorithms is need to use sort()?

>> PS Now I've found this I can go back and simplify all the code where I
>> iterated over associative arrays in key order by getting the keys and
>> the sorting them separately.
>
> I don't fully understand.

I'm assuming here that it's safe to call sort() on the .keys property of
the dynamic array.  This enables me to go:

foreach (key; aa.keys.sort()) {...}

instead of the much more complex code I'm currently writing which gets
the keys, sorts them and then uses them in the foreach.  I had actually
written a generic function to do all of that but now find all the work
was unnecessary :-).

As I learn more about D I'm finding I can go back and simplify a lot of
my code.  I'm going to reread Andrei's book to see what I missed the
first time.

Peter
PS I think I need to read more about component programming as I'm
beginning to suspect I don't understand it fully.