[article] Language Design Deal Breakers

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Tue May 28 07:37:02 PDT 2013

On Sat, 25 May 2013 23:50:28 +0100, Klaim - Joël Lamotte
<mjklaim at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this have not been posted yet around here but might be
> interesting
> to the D community as it is actually criticizing several languages
> including D but with an interesting aproach:
>
> http://sebastiansylvan.wordpress.com/2013/05/25/language-design-deal-breakers/

So it seems D doesn't fit the bill due to point #3..

"Null pointer exceptions have no business in modern languages. Getting rid
of them /costs no performance/, and statically eliminates the one big
remaining cause of runtime crashes that we still see in otherwise “modern”
languages."

/emphasis/ mine.  Is it actually true that you can "remove" null pointer
exceptions at no runtime cost?

It's possible if you remove pointers from the language.
It's possible if you statically require that any pointer/reference is
initialised at declaration.

But, is it otherwise possible?  Because both of these options are too
restrictive for a systems programming language.

Point #4 might also be slightly at odds with D's current GC, but that
can/will improve, eventually (bigger fish to fry).

Point #5 is likewise an area where D can/will improve, eventually (bigger
fish to fry)