Canonical/Idiomatic in memory files

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue May 28 10:46:21 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 16:04:32 Russel Winder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I am missing something very obvious…
>
> For unit tests I want a std.stdio.File object that is backed by an in
> memory string buffer rather than an actual file on disc, be it temporary
> or otherwise. I think I am missing where this is documented in the
> documentation. Or is it actually not available?

Do you mean something like std.mmfile.MmFile which operates on a file as an
array in memory using mmap, or do you mean operating on memory that has no
connection to a file at all (in which case, I'm not sure why you'd want to use
File)? If the former, well use std.file.MmFile. If the latter, I expect that
you're out of luck. Unfortunately, std.stdio.File is currently just a wrapper
around FILE and is thus limited by what you can do with FILE - that and I
don't think that the File API took into consideration the possibility of
operating on anything other than an actual file (and I honestly don't know what
you'd be trying to do with it where it would make any sense for to operate on
anything other than an actual file).

- Jonathan M Davis