Long symbol names (Was: demangle doesn't work with...)

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Tue May 28 14:13:59 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 28 May 2013 at 19:01:00 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> Nothing is breakage before shared library support is ready.
> And it's almost ready...

This comment makes me slightly nervous, as I think even then, we
shouldn't be too quick to commit to ABI stability. Quite on the
contrary, we need to make sure to aggressively tell users that
they can't expect two pieces D code that were not compiled with
the exact same compiler version to interoperate.

One of the reasons is that we keep breaking ABI compatibility in
Phobos with just about every single release.

And the more important and fundamental one is that we don't
actually have a well-defined ABI right now (i.e. that is actually
documented in the spec), which would also need to be actually
implementable by all of DMD, GDC and LDC. Not to mention the many
quirks and bugs in the current implementation.

David