Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue May 28 16:57:38 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:33:32AM +1000, Peter Williams wrote:
> On 28/05/13 19:12, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> >On 2013-05-28 08:00, Manu wrote:
> >
> >>Is there anywhere other than America that doesn't?
> >
> >Canada, Jamaica, other countries in that region?
> >

> Last time I looked Canada was in America (which is a continent not a
> country). :-)
[...]

If you say that to a Canadian to his face, you might get a hostile (or
faux-hostile) reaction. :)

Up here in the Great White North, we like to think of ourselves as
different from our rowdy neighbours to the south (even though we're not
that different, but we won't ever admit that :-P). And yes, "America"
means USA up here (and "American" especially means USian, as distinct
from Canadian), even though we all know that technically it refers to
the continent, not the country.

Computers aren't intelligent; they only think they are.