D on next-gen consoles and for game development

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue May 28 17:46:03 PDT 2013

On Tue, 28 May 2013 20:40:03 -0400, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> ObjC and WinRT are both used successfully on embedded hardware, I'm
> really
> wondering if this is the way to go for embedded in D.
> V8 uses an incremental collector (somehow?), which I've been saying is
> basically mandatory for embedded/realtime use. Apparently Google agree.
> Clearly others have already had this quarrel, their resolutions are worth
> consideration.

An interesting thing to note, Apple tried garbage collection with Obj-C,
but only on MacOS, and it's now been deprecated since automatic reference
counting was introduced [1].  It never was on iOS.

So that is a telling omission I think.

-Steve

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objective-C#Garbage_collection