Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Tue May 28 23:23:08 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 29 May 2013 at 01:29:07 UTC, Diggory wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 May 2013 at 23:33:47 UTC, Peter Williams wrote:

>>> Canada, Jamaica, other countries in that region?
>>>

>> Last time I looked Canada was in America (which is a continent
>> not a country). :-)
>>
>> Peter
>
> America isn't a continent, North America is a continent, and
> Canada is in North America :P

Well, that point of view really depends from which continent
you're from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continents#Number_of_continents

There is no internationally agreed on scheme. I for one, have
always been taught that there is only "America", and that the
terms "North America" and "South America" where only meant to
denote regions within said continent.