Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu May 30 04:24:38 PDT 2013

On 30 May 2013 18:32, Entry <no at no.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 29 May 2013 at 23:57:01 UTC, Peter Williams wrote:
>
>> On 30/05/13 08:40, Entry wrote:
>>
>>> My personal opinion is that code should only be in English.
>>>

>> But why would you want to impose this restriction on others?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> I wouldn't say impose. I'd say that programming in a unified language (D)
> should not be sabotaged by comments and variable names in various human
> languages (Swedish, Russian), but be accompanied by a similarly 'unified'
> language that we all know - English. It is only my opinion though and I
> wouldn't force it upon anyone.

We don't all know English. Plenty of people don't.
I've worked a lot with Sony and Nintendo code/libraries, for instance, it
almost always looks like this:

{
  // E: I like cake.
  // J: ケーキが好きです。
  player.eatCake();
}

Clearly someone doesn't speak English in these massive codebases that power
an industry worth 10s of billions.