Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Entry no at no.com
Thu May 30 07:13:45 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 13:52:09 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 13:12:17 UTC, Entry wrote:

>>> But programming IS a human tool, and thus, subject to human
>>> language.
>>>
>>> Also, I don't see how a programming language is any more
>>> unified than, say, a library.
>>>
>>> While you wouldn't force it on anyone, would it also be your
>>> opinion that putting a French book in a french library be a
>>> sabotage of the world's librarial institutions?
>>
>> What a way to attack a straw-man and completely miss the point
>> at the same time.
>
> Fine.
>
> In that case, I'll retort by saying that you use of the
> 'unified' is intentionally loaded to favor your stance.
>
> My retort was not correctly expressed, but I don't see how D is
> "unified". I thought it was just a tool to create programs.

Take a minute to think about why we're all communicating in
English here. Let's see if you can figure it out. I just think
that it's better to focus on two very specific languages with two
very specific purposes (D for programming and English for
communication). 'Twas just an idea, I don't care if you write
your code in hieroglyphs.