Why UTF-8/16 character encodings?

Entry no at no.com
Thu May 30 08:48:11 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 14:49:12 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 14:13:47 UTC, Entry wrote:
>> Take a minute to think about why we're all communicating in
>> English here. Let's see if you can figure it out.
>
> Well that's condescending :/ and fallacious.
>
> To answer your question, it may have something to do with the
> fact that these are the English forums? Just a wild hunch. Oh.
> And because we *can* speak English? That could also have
> something to do with it.
>
> There are tons of non-English speaking programming forums out
> there. Maybe those that don't speak English are over there?
> Heck, there are a few non-English threads in learn.
>
> Oh. And did you know TDPL was published in Japanese? Why bother
> right?
>
>> I just think that it's better to focus on two very specific
>> languages with two very specific purposes (D for programming
>> and English for communication). 'Twas just an idea, I don't
>> care if you write your code in hieroglyphs.
>
> I really really agree with you.
>
> Yet, I think they are orthogonal concepts, and that the D
> programming language has no business choosing which
> communication vector its users should use.
>
> It's not just a matter (imo) of "I wouldn't force it upon
> anyone", but "I think everyone should choose what's best for
> them".
>
> Yeah. I know. Same conclusion, but there is a nuance.

I'm glad you agree, though I believe that I never said anything
about D 'choosing' which human languages are compatible with it.
I just expressed my belief that should people choose to construct
something, be it a ship or a computer program, the usage of a
single language will greatly enhance their progress (ever heard
the story of the Tower of Babel? wink wink). Sorry if my previous
comment seemed hostile, that was not my intention.