The stately := operator feature proposal

MrzlganeE bulletproofchest at gmail.com
Thu May 30 13:39:40 PDT 2013

> And I don't think that this does by a long shot. auto already
> provides us with
> this functionality. It's just that the syntax for auto doesn't

I understand what you guys are saying, I agree that not
everything should be added. But come on,

On a *FEW* things you can support 2 styles.

If you support a few styles on a *few* things, it does not mean
you have to support everything on all things.

D has features for functional programmers, and byte-level
programmers too!

In the case where it's a really basic thing that opens up a nice
level of expressiveness for a different type of programmer, and
there's no compromise that can bring us both together, it's OK to
support us both!

Because how can the current 'auto' work for both of us?
How could I ever be happy writing math like that?

The arguments you are making about not adding in every parallel
idea apply to a really different problem:

Something where the single solution *can* genuinely be worked
out, *can* genuinely come together for both of us, and the
language designers know this, and they know better than just
adding in stuff, and they know that a unified solution is better.

But this is different, it doesn't have that potential for ever
seeing the unified solution. It's just a small thing, for math
guys, Come on.