The stately := operator feature proposal

w0rp devw0rp at gmail.com
Thu May 30 14:30:17 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 20:58:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> There is a significant difference between a language feature
> which adds actual
> functionality and one that's purely syntactic sugar.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Plus here, the difference is four characters if you count the
single space. I think there really isn't any value added to the
language from this syntax. It's an alternative way to write
something that is already very short and easy to understand.
Plus, I think of auto as really just a placeholder, given that
you don't need auto if you have a qualifier, like so:

const x = 3.4f;