The stately := operator feature proposal

MrzlganeE bulletproofchest at gmail.com
Thu May 30 15:14:18 PDT 2013

> Not a bad idea. But why not go a step further, and make:
>
>    x := value;
>
> the equivalent of:
>
>    const x := value;
>
> ?

This one is really hard for me to offer input on:

I could get a lot done with the const version.

I could agree with you for multiple reasons I think,
- const x := 1; still works, yet it's redundant with the =
operator.
- writing const style code is good in math
- the := fits into FP-style code too
- := has some historical precedence (in the parsers) (but not in
the languages) for meaning const

And I'd be happy with compromise.

But personally, I did truly want to use it for the non const
stuff, too, even if I don't want to admit that. I'd use it for a
lot of stuff.

Which leads me to dare suggest there could be 2 operators ....
:= and $=, the latter for const (Guys you may be mad now, people
would like the $= later on...)

But please, don't let that worry you!

I only ask for the simplest change, if there could be any
compromise.