hello world in D

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri May 31 08:19:16 PDT 2013

On Friday, 31 May 2013 at 15:03:58 UTC, Regan Heath wrote:
> It is a bit surprising isn't it.

Aye.

BTW if you want to get into really small, statically linked D
programs, you can do a custom druntime, no phobos, no C lib, with
just the code you want. I recently wrote about a toy I've been
playing with the last couple days in a reddit comment:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1fc9jt/dmd_2063_the_d_programming_language_reference/ca94mek

Under 40 kilobytes! If you do the bare minimum you can get down
to about 1 KB, but at that point, you're actually writing in
mostly (inline) assembly rather than D. The code in the link
though supports a majority (though certainly not all) of D's
features.

> Agreed 100%.  But newcomers don't often get that far down the
> chain of thought, they just see a huge exe and wonder WTF! :)

Indeed.