The stately := operator feature proposal

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri May 31 08:20:02 PDT 2013

On 05/31/2013 02:58 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> I really hope such stuff will _never ever_ get into official D spec. It is just
> going to be a disaster for language that aims to be general-purpose and doesn't
> want to die because of minor detail overload complexity, like C++ did.
>
> That syntax obession makes me afraid. Shorter lambdas had at least some rationale.

I'm largely in agreement with you here, particularly because it seems
superfluous to add a feature that is _purely_ cosmetic when there are other,
very important language and library issues to resolve.

That said, could there be a case for a math { } environment, provided as a
library solution, that would enable a more maths-like syntax for those who
want/need it?