minifying the website

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri May 31 11:02:24 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 07:43:08PM +0200, Wyatt wrote:
> On Friday, 31 May 2013 at 17:12:11 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[...]
> >I've been looking through the logs and it looks like the top files
> >in bytes transferred yesterday (even with the deluge of downloads)
> >were a number of Javascript, HTML, and CSS files.
> >
> >There are programs to reduce the size of such files called
> >"minifiers". Should we use some? If so, what would the experts
> >recommend? We'd need ideally some command line utility that we can
> >deploy easily and integrate with the build process. Alternatively,
> >an online service could fit the bill, too.
> >
> I may be in the minority in this, but I would prefer if some of that
> were just removed entirely.

+1.

I browse dlang.org with JS turned off because it's much more usable that
way. I've no idea what the JS does (the only visible effect I can see is
the ugly blob of unreadable links in the Phobos docs which are useless
anyway -- the links, I mean, not the docs), but it makes page contents
vanish for a good number of seconds, causes my browser to soak up memory
like a sponge, and results in poor performance in general.

We should either fix whatever is causing the performance hit, or just
get rid of it altogether.

[...]
> I'm fine with some light JS that makes the documentation more usable
> or useful; this makes it practically unusable unless I have access
> to NoScript.

Due to several sites that recently insisted on adding heavy-duty JS that
doesn't add any significant functionality, I've turned off JS by default
and only enable it on a site-by-site need-to basis (I use Opera that has
per-site preferences built-in). The web is surprisingly faster and
easier to use that way.

(Most people will probably think I'm nuts, though. And they're probably
right. :-P *shrug*)