minifying the website

Aleksandar Ruzicic aleksandar at ruzicic.info
Fri May 31 12:03:39 PDT 2013

On Friday, 31 May 2013 at 17:26:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 5/31/13 1:17 PM, w0rp wrote:
>> I recommend YUI Compressor.
>> http://yui.github.io/yuicompressor/ I use it
>> for compressing JavaScript and CSS at my job, and it works
>> very well.
>> (It's also part of a Maven build script at my job, which is
>> also cool.)
>> If you use it, I recommend --nomunge --preserve-semi
>> --disable-optimizations so it doesn't do any JavaScript
>> fiddling beyond
>> just minification.
>
> Thanks. I'm a bit weary of adding Java as a requirement for
> building. Is that a legitimate concern?
>
> Andrei

Well, some requirement must be added as I'm unaware of good
minifiers that do not require a runtime. But I would always go
with Node.js instead of Java.

IMHO these days to be serious web developer you must have Node.js
installed, as NPM modules have become de facto standard for
distributing libraries and utilities for web development.

For Node.js minifiers I recommend uglify.js
(https://github.com/mishoo/UglifyJS2) for JavaScript and
clean-css (https://github.com/GoalSmashers/clean-css) for CSS.

And for server configuration take a look at
https://github.com/h5bp/server-configs