Everyone who writes safety critical software should read this

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Nov 2 08:52:48 PDT 2013

On 11/1/13 8:03 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Walter Bright:

> Everyone who writes safety critical software should really avoid
> languages unable to detect integral overflows (at compile-time or
> run-time) in all normal numerical operations,

I'm unclear on why you seem so eager to grind that axe. The matter seems
to be rather trivial - disallow statically the use of built-in
integrals, and prescribe the use of library types that do the
verification. A small part of the codebase that's manually verified
(such as the library itself) could use the primitive types. Best of all
worlds. In even a medium project, the cost of the verifier and
maintaining that library is negligible.

> and languages that have undefined operations in their basic
> semantics.

We need to get SafeD up to snuff!

> So Ada language is OK, C and D are not OK for safety critical software.

Well that's Ada's claim to fame. But I should hope D would have a safety
edge over C.

Andrei