core.memory GC interface / specification

safety0ff safety0ff.dev at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 19:33:41 PDT 2013

Hello,

I have a few questions & discussion points regarding core.memory.

The motivation for this post is that the current GC
implementation deviates from what is promised in core.memory
documentation, I'd like to correct this, but first I must confirm
my interpretation of the spec / documentation is correct.

 From the realloc[1] documentation:
"If p references memory not originally allocated by this garbage
collector, or if it points to the interior of a memory block, no
action will be taken."

It is unclear to me, whether in these cases, whether realloc
should return as if an error occurred, or if to return as if it
"successfully did nothing."
 From my judgement, and from looking at the documentation for
sizeOf[2], realloc should return as if an error occurred.
Furthermore, if realloc doesn't return as if error in these
cases, then it practically never returns as if error.

Returning error in these cases allows realloc to be used as a
better free.
Why?
If p references memory not originally allocated by this garbage
collector, or if it points to the interior of a memory block,
free should do nothing. [3]
As free returns void, there is no way to know whether it actually
took any action.

Free currently deviates from the documentation. As long as it is
passed a pointer to GC allocated memory, regardless of whether it
is an interior pointer, it will free the memory block. See the
example code at the end[4].

Realloc currently has the following issues:
- If realloc is passed an interior pointer and a size parameter
of zero, then realloc inherits the above issue from free,
additionally, it always returns as if success.
- If realloc is passed a pointer to non-GC memory with non-zero
size, it will allocate a new GC owned block when it should do
nothing (and possibly return as if error.)
- Same as above except with interior pointer, this is an issue
for shrinking allocations (similar to free issue,) whereas for
expansion it is not a big deal (but proper behaviour should be
documented specifically.)

Please discuss!

----
[1] http://dlang.org/phobos/core_memory.html#.GC.realloc
[2] http://dlang.org/phobos/core_memory.html#.GC.sizeOf
[3] http://dlang.org/phobos/core_memory.html#.GC.free
[4] Example code:
int main()
{	import core.memory;
	auto foo = cast(ubyte*)GC.malloc(4096);
	if (!foo) return 1;
	auto bar = &foo[42]; // create interior pointer
	GC.free(cast(void*)bar); // should do nothing
	GC.collect();
	GC.minimize();
	*foo = 0; // crash -> GC.free actually free'd
	return 0;