D parsing

Timothee Cour thelastmammoth at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 19:54:19 PDT 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> On 11/2/13 6:45 PM, Timothee Cour wrote:
>
>> 1)
>> The main issue I see with pegged is PEG grammars don't support left
>> recursion, so for example will fail on foo[1].bar(2).fun().
>> Unless there's a plan to accomodate those, I sense a dead end.
>> One can eliminate left recursion but this has issues.
>>

> I see Pegged significant not only as a PEG-based generator, but also for
> exercising D's generative abilities and consequently inspire other parser
> generators.

That's fine and it works great for certain grammars, but for grammars like
D?
Either theres' a plan to handle those or it's time to look for
alternatives. I've suggested lemon (improves upon yacc/bison), which I've
used before (via a d wrapper) http://www.hwaci.com/sw/lemon/.