D Programmer Jobs at Sociomantic Labs

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Mon Nov 4 07:58:47 PST 2013

On Monday, 4 November 2013 at 14:01:32 UTC, Bienlein wrote:
>> Sociomantic team only half an year ago. Initially my
>> motivation was mostly C++ frustration outrage but I was
>> pleasantly surprised by work environment here, which is very
>> open-minded and task-focused, something you don't expect
>> considering all the Germany cliches :)
>
> They learned this in the end from all the foreign spies in
> Berlin
> ... I started looking into D a bit mostly out of frustration
> with
> Java staying put for years, too much dependency on XML, change
> towards commodity programing, etc. Other JVM languages are
> either
> loaded with too many incoherent features (Scala), only dynamic
> add-on to Java (Groovy), not there yet (Kotlin), etc. D seems to
> me the best choice (looked also at Go, Objective-C, Rust, C# and
> others), but my impression is that you should have been doing
> some serious C or C++ before. I wonder whether it's worth diving
> into D without a serious background in C/C++. Will be fun at
> home, but jobwise it won't count. Really a pitty. Maybe the best
> is to wait for Kotlin. Don't know ... What do you think how much
> C/C++ skills are beneficial?
>
> -- Bienlein

Knowledge of Java should be enough to get started. As with all
new languages, you'll have to be open-minded and willing to learn
new concepts, which is an important skill in software development
anyway.

"Who D is Not For
- As a first programming language - Basic or Java is more
suitable for beginners. D makes an excellent second language for
intermediate to advanced programmers."
(http://dlang.org/overview.html)

Since you are already unhappy with other languages and also know
why, I think you are ready to dive into D. I'm sure you'll
recognize most of the features in this list:

http://dlang.org/comparison.html