D Programmer Jobs at Sociomantic Labs

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Nov 4 22:20:06 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 06:12:33PM +0100, PauloPinto wrote:
> On Monday, 4 November 2013 at 16:49:10 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
> >>
> >>I'd argue against this. I think D would make a terrific first
> >>language.
> >(...)
> >>
> >>Something like C or D (i'd opt for D) should be any devs first
> >>language. Simply to educate them in the basics.
> >
> >I would say that it really depends on the age too. D as a first
> >language for an 18 year-old technically savvy person might work,
> >but for a 10 year-old?
>
> Well I was looking at Z80 Assembly code at the age of 12.

I started programming Applesoft BASIC around that age too, and when I
was 14 or so, I was programming in Motorola 6502 assembly language. When
I was 16 one of my assembly programs was sold in a bookstore. Thereafter
I moved on to Intel 8088 assembly language. It was only years later, in
college, that I learned C and C++.

I think BASIC introduced me to the concept behind imperative
programming, even if at the time it has almost no structured constructs
and most programs were just GOTO spaghetti soup. Going from there to
assembly language was actually not that much of a stretch, and with big
performance payoffs, too.

Of course, the world has moved on since those days, so nowadays we don't
usually bother with that level of performance fine-tuning except in
performance critical bits of code.

But anyway, w.r.t. the OP, if I were to be in charge of designing a
curriculum, I'd put assembly language as the first language to be
learned, followed by a good high-level language like D. On this, I agree
with Knuth's sentiments:

	By understanding a machine-oriented language, the programmer
	will tend to use a much more efficient method; it is much closer
	to reality. -- D. Knuth

	People who are more than casually interested in computers should
	have at least some idea of what the underlying hardware is like.
	Otherwise the programs they write will be pretty weird. -- D.
	Knuth

Без труда не выловишь и рыбку из пруда.