D Language Gotchas

qznc qznc at web.de
Mon Nov 4 23:28:02 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 5 November 2013 at 02:59:55 UTC, Sumit Adhikari wrote:
> I searched internet also I searched this forum for D Language
> gotchas. In this forum, I found a thread which is from 2005 and
> I do not know latest updates on that.
>
> My question is that - "Are there known programming gotchas of D
> language ?"
>
> If will be grateful if I get some pointers.

There are various gotchas due to bugs in the frontend, but they
get fixed (slowly). You can browse the bug tracker.

Some "gotchas" are just assumptions people have coming from other
programming languages (slices behavior, floating point, etc). My
pragmatic tutorial [0] tries to guide you around those.

Some aspects of D are bad in hindsight, but will not be fixed in
the near future due to backwards compatability. For example,
@safe and pure should probably have been the defaults instead of
extra annotations.

[0] http://qznc.github.io/d-tut/