Actor model & D

Bienlein jeti789 at web.de
Tue Nov 5 04:28:01 PST 2013

On Monday, 19 August 2013 at 03:11:00 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
> Can anyone please explain me what it means for the D language
> to follow the Actor model, as the relevant Wikipedia page says
> it does? [1]
>
> [1]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actor_model#Later_Actor_programming_languages

To my understanding "Message Passing Concurrency" in D is already
very actor-like:

void main()
{
      Tid worker = spawn(&workerFunc, thisTid);
      worker.send(1);
}

void workerFunc(Tid owner)
{
      int value = 0;
      value = receiveOnly!int();
	writeln("value from parent: ", value);
}

Sample code above taken from the book by Ali Çehreli and then
simplified. This is such a breeze compared to spawning a thread
in C++ or Java. Question is what happens when you spawn some
thousand actors. I don't know whether the threads in D are made
for this.

-- Bienlein