D vs Go in real life

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Nov 5 23:26:36 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 6 November 2013 at 05:38:54 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 05, 2013 16:27:39 Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> So, is he writing D code now :D. Or did he complain about the
>> syntax, all the types being on the left?
>
> LOL. I doubt that someone who's that big a fan of Go would
> switch thanks to
> that (would you have switched to Go if the Go implementation
> had won?) -
> especially when Go and D are so dissimilar. In general, I would
> expect fans of
> Go to dislike D and fans of D to dislike Go simply because of
> how very
> different their designs are. But it _would_ show him that D can
> compete with Go
> for performance even in Go's area of expertise.
>
> Go is on the list of languages that I'd like to spend more time
> becoming
> familiar with, because I think that it's good to know lots of
> programming
> languages, but the more I learn about it, the less I like it.
> Its design
> philosophies are just too different from my preferences.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I rather use D than Go, but it has more to do with Go's community
with their religion decisions about generics, dynamic loading,
exceptions, enumerations, package management than anything else.

The language follows the Pascal tradition of type declarations
and safety before performance dirty tricks. I find quite
appealing its Oberon and Alef/Lingo influences.

It is good enough for many cases where people, wrongly, still use
C. For example, the complete UNIX user space.

Now for those of us that have become used to the niceties the
mainstream languages have adopted from academia in the last 30
years, Go feels a bit too light.

Anyway on my day job, we will not be moving away from JVM/.NET
world any time soon.

--
Paulo