D vs Go in real life

Bienlein jeti789 at web.de
Wed Nov 6 05:57:48 PST 2013

> in functions like chain will improve. But when you describe
> immutable and purity as a plus, are you describing the idea of
> its use as positive (which I agree is) or the actual use of it
> (which I think needs work)?

What I meant to say was that Scala wants to call itself
functional to a certain extend. But as a matter of fact a
language like D that doesn't claim to belong to the functional
camp has better support for FP than Scala. In case I do heavy
concurrent stuff immutable objects and pure functions are of
enourmous help. Did some heavy concurrent stuff for some years
and I can see that immutability has great value in that regards.
But I wouldn't make everything immutable. Only the objects I hand
over to some actor or to some parallel computation.

Yeah, the problem that in the end some C function is not const
and all your const correctnes in C++ becomes void I know. Again,
If I know something is happening concurrently I would take the
effort to copy the data into some immutable data structure just
to be on the save side that no other thread can mess around with
my data.