Maintain notes for D's successor? [Was: Re: Why the @ in @safe? & UDAs]

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 05:31:14 PST 2013

On Thursday, 7 November 2013 at 22:16:43 UTC, Dicebot wrote:

> Of course, good stuff is still worth discussing - language
> design moves forward and D3 is inevitable, whatever Walter
> intention here is. There are already D derivatives that do
> experiment in that domain trying to build on D experience
> foundation in the very same way as D did on top of C/C++.

This raises a question for me: should we perhaps take a page from
X.org [0] and document all the niggling finer points of what the
"next D" should be or not be?  It's not gospel (and in the case
of X12, may never actually happen), but it's still a useful
reflection point and consolidation of the various disparate
"should have done" things.  Like pure/safe/immutable holes,
virtual/final, what the various forks [1] and experiments [2] are
and why they exist, etc.

These points come up in conversations, but as we eschew breaking
changes with ever-greater fervour, we should still make note of
them.  They don't need to be DIPs (though some of the ones in
limbo would be valuable additions [3]), or even extensively
described.  If nothing else, it'd be a list of issues we're aware
of that could be "better" (like the one in the parent thread) to
direct people toward.  A succinct history "why this one part
sucks".

-Wyatt

[0] http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/X12/
[1] https://github.com/FeepingCreature/fcc