D french-speaking community

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 00:18:02 PST 2013

On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 07:43:21 UTC, Raphaël Jakse wrote:
> Le 09/11/2013 08:21, John J a écrit :
>> On 11/09/2013 01:40 AM, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
>>> I don't even know how to say 'template' in French.
>>>

>> Do they really need to translate keywords like 'template' into
>> French,
>> for that matter into any other language?
>>

> I've still not translated the chapter about template so I have
> not decided anything yet.
>
> My guideline is to translate everything (I hate
> speaking/reading about computer science with people who use
> three English works by French sentance) and give the English
> counterpart the first time to be able to find help in the
> English world.
>
> Also, using French words when speaking about computer science
> helps speaking about computer science with people who are not
> into it, I'm really attached to this.
>
> The French translation for template is "modèle", I think I'll
> use this one. I'm okay with also giving the English "template"
> in my translation, but not use it (If somebody disagrees, I'm
> open to talk)
>
> I had a really hard time translating "slice". I opted for
> "tranche". That can sound weird but what "slice" really means,
> unless I am mistaken. If somebody has a better translation,
> please suggest!
> I'm absolutely not comfortable with "une slice" or "un slice".
> Some French people will pronounce the "i"  "i", some other will
> pronounce it "aïe". That's not neat and that will not ease the
> reading of the translation.
>
> Raphaël.

When it come to translation, I have to pull my secret card, my
friend Pierre :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xalkad_motus_sport

He is geek enough to know some programming basics (he for
instance extracted the 3 10 letters words that exist in french
that give as much different letters as possible in preparation of
the show) and as you can see, have probably more vocabulary than
all of us combined (he happen to be a scrabble champion).

I'll ask him and see what he think.

template is french friendly enough to keep. "modèle" is kind of
confusing. Slice is a difficult one. Tranche is probably the best
I can think of now, but I don't think slice have any direct
translation in french.