D french-speaking community

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Nov 9 00:32:09 PST 2013

On Friday, November 08, 2013 23:51:16 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 11/8/13 11:43 PM, Raphaël Jakse wrote:
> >>
> >> Do they really need to translate keywords like 'template' into French,
> >> for that matter into any other language?
> >
> > I've still not translated the chapter about template so I have not
> > decided anything yet.
> >
> > My guideline is to translate everything (I hate speaking/reading about
> > computer science with people who use three English works by French
> > sentance) and give the English counterpart the first time to be able to
> > find help in the English world.
> >
> > Also, using French words when speaking about computer science helps
> > speaking about computer science with people who are not into it, I'm
> > really attached to this.
> >
> > The French translation for template is "modèle", I think I'll use this
> > one. I'm okay with also giving the English "template" in my translation,
> > but not use it (If somebody disagrees, I'm open to talk)
> >
> > I had a really hard time translating "slice". I opted for "tranche".
>
> morceau?

I suppose that that would work, but I believe that tranche would be the more
direct translation (certainly, it's what's used when talking about slices of
bread). However, I don't know if there's another word that happens to have
more accurate connotations in this case.

Given French's more limited vocabulary and resistance to adding new words,
translating technical terms has got to be a royal pain (and then L'Académie
Française gets ticked when folks use English words for new stuff). I had my
desktop in French for a while at one point, which definitely improved my
vocabulary. For better or worse, a lot of technical words seem to get
translated very literally, which gets interesting sometimes (particularly when
there doesn't seem to really be a direct translation available). But I expect
that it's often the same in other languages, though maybe some of them are
more open to just using the English word.

- Jonathan M Davis