D french-speaking community

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Nov 9 02:28:10 PST 2013

On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 08:32:24 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:

> Given French's more limited vocabulary and resistance to adding
> new words,
> translating technical terms has got to be a royal pain (and
> then L'Académie
> Française gets ticked when folks use English words for new
> stuff). I had my
> desktop in French for a while at one point, which definitely
> improved my
> vocabulary. For better or worse, a lot of technical words seem
> to get
> translated very literally, which gets interesting sometimes
> (particularly when
> there doesn't seem to really be a direct translation
> available). But I expect
> that it's often the same in other languages, though maybe some
> of them are
> more open to just using the English word.

I can tell you that when I talk about programming or computers in
Swedish I use a lot of English words. Many words don't have a
good translation and just sound weird. If I would to translate
"slice" into Swedish it would probably be "skiva", especially if
we're talking about a slice of bread. But if I would say "skiva"
when talking about programming to someone else they would
probably say "WHAT?" and have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm using all my software in English. One time I was going to use
Photoshop at school and they had the Swedish version. I couldn't
find a single thing by looking at the names. Just hoping you're
remembering the locations of the buttons and the menus.

--
/Jacob Carlborg