D french-speaking community

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Nov 9 02:42:48 PST 2013

Am 09.11.2013 08:21, schrieb John J:
> On 11/09/2013 01:40 AM, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
>> I don't even know how to say 'template' in French.
>>

> Do they really need to translate keywords like 'template' into French,
> for that matter into any other language?

It is a cultural thing, so whoever is translating needs to be aware how
people expect technical documentation to look like.

For example, in Portugal and African Portuguese speaking countries, we
rather mix English technical terms with Portuguese even when a
translation does exist, whereas in Brazil they tend to choose other words.

My experience leaving in Germany tells me that you only hear people
using German official terms in very traditional (aka old) companies, the
new generations mix English technical terms with German.

In Spain, you tend to get almost everything translated as well.

Then you also have the problem when a technical term has a translation,
it might not be the same across all variations of the language.
Spreasheet is "Folha de Cálcul"o in Portugal and "Planilha Electrônica"
in Brazil, as an example.

--
Paulo