D french-speaking community

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Sat Nov 9 09:03:37 PST 2013

On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 10:44:06 UTC, Philippe Sigaud
wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Raphaël Jakse
>> I had a really hard time translating "slice". I opted for
>> "tranche". That
>> can sound weird but what "slice" really means, unless I am
>> mistaken. If
>> somebody has a better translation, please suggest!
>>

> extrait?
>
> partie?

"Tranche" seems better to me, because the translation is so
direct.

The term "slice" isn't any more semantically accurate in English
than "tranche" would be in French. We aren't actually "taking a
slice" of an array, after all: that would imply that the original
array was now missing a piece. :)

As a weak francophone, if I saw "tranche" in a french D article,
I would know exactly what it meant, while "partie" would seem
more ambiguous IMHO.

Just my two cents (bien que nous n'avons plus des cents au
Canada!),
Graham