Is it ok now to mirror dmd zip packages for Gentoo?

nazriel spam at dzfl.pl
Sat Nov 9 09:37:24 PST 2013

On Friday, 8 November 2013 at 16:25:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 11/8/13 1:02 AM, Marco Leise wrote:
>> I'm rewriting the package script for Gentoo and I stumbled
>> over that old "mirror restriction" forcing downloads from the
>> Amazon server rather than from Gentoo mirrors.
>> It's not an issue at all, it would only saves 2 lines of
>> code. :) So if you (Walter) still want to keep track of the
>> download statistic just say so. There is also that Russian FTP
>> mirror now so it looks like it is already hard to keep track.
>
> Download statistics are of crucial importance to us.
>
> Andrei

Can't we create something like pseudo-load-balancer?

It would allow to keep statistics and use different mirrors.

For example that russian mirror is quite fast compared to DM ftp.

What I propose is:

http://dlang.org/download/dmd.2.064.2/?mirror=russian.ftp
It increments download counter and redirects to mirror.