D french-speaking community

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 12:27:27 PST 2013

On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 10:32:26 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 09.11.2013 08:50, schrieb Raphaël Jakse:
>> Le 09/11/2013 07:43, Philippe Sigaud a écrit :
>>>

>>>    On Friday, November 08, 2013 20:16:44 Timothee Cour wrote:
>>>     > french as well (although living in US).
>>>     > A great start would be lobbying so that they teach D in
>>> French
>>>    Engineering
>>>     > schools ... instead of ocaml.
>>>

>>> Did they teach you ocaml? I had C, with maybe a dash of C++.
>>
>> I've been taught OCaml (to introduce functional programming)
>> and C at
>> the university. No C++, but ADA. Java is also taught.
>>

> Actually I find very positive that people get introduced to ML
> family of languages.
>
> It is a nice way to learn functional programming.
>
> My university had a strong focus in ML (Caml Light back then)
> and Prolog as well, so I have beed brain damaged since mid 90's
> always looking forward to using those concepts in the industry.
> :)
>
> --
> Paulo

I went throws OCaml when studying. It has to be noted that I
already know several languages by myself at this point.

I do agree that learning OCaml is a really good thing, but the
way it has been done to me wasn't that profitable. The fact is
that teachers didn't knew much about functional programming, how
it differs from other paradigms, the pro and cons. Nothing of
that was discussed, so all student that knew some programming,
but not functional were left wondering what is that shit were i
can't update the value of a variable.

I has to learn why this is good much later and by myself. I'm
pretty sure most people see it as the weird and useless language
we learn in the beginning of our studies.

Many school are switching back to C.