xdc: A hypothetical D cross-compiler and AST manipulation tool.

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Sat Nov 9 20:54:11 PST 2013

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:l5madp$1p24$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 11/9/13 9:14 AM, nazriel wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 July 2013 at 01:21:44 UTC, Chad Joan wrote:
>>> I'd like to present my vision for a new D compiler.  I call it xdc, a
>>> loose abbreviation for "Cross D Compiler" (if confused, see
>>> Thank you for reading.
>>
>> I think C backend is a good idea.
>
> I think C is not a good back-end language. Other backend generators
> usually have a white paper explaining why... http://www.cminusminus.org/
>
> Andrei

That is true in general, but D actually maps quite well onto C.

I did some work on creating a C backend a while back, and it worked quite
well.

However - most of the work is in creating a runtime that will work correctly
on the target platform.  If your desired target is anything that llvm or gcc
supports, I would recommend using ldc/gdc instead of doing it all from
scratch.