DIP49 - Define qualified postblit

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 23:56:06 PST 2013

On Sunday, 10 November 2013 at 06:46:47 UTC, Kenji Hara wrote:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP49
>
> Experimental compiler/druntime patches (WIP, 80% completed):
> https://github.com/9rnsr/dmd/tree/qual_pblit
> https://github.com/9rnsr/druntime/tree/qual_pblit
>
> Kenji Hara

I like it up to the unique part. For mutable/const/immutable
postblit, I do think this is it, you nailed it perfectly.

For the unique part, this become tricky, as we do not specify
what is a unique expression. For this, I do not think that
overloading inout make too much sense. inout already mean
something else, and uniqueness is generally a useful concept that
is not reserved to postblit. In fact, to make the unique posblit
work, it is required that we define unique expression, and that
is way beyond the scope of this DIP.

Additionally, inout posblit make sense without changing the
meaning of posblit, which make the proposal confusing.

Let's make the posblit inout be what inout always has been : a
wildcard for a qualifier in the callee that is known from the
caller.