D french-speaking community

Olivier Pisano olivier.pisano at laposte.net
Sun Nov 10 00:31:31 PST 2013

On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 10:13:42 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
>> The French translation for template is "modèle", I think I'll
>> use this one. I'm okay with also giving the English "template"
>> in my translation, but not use it (If somebody disagrees, I'm
>> open to talk)
>
> It sounds strange to translate a keyword. If I put it like
> this, it would be ok to translate a keyword when talking about
> it like a topic, i.e. a chapter called "Templates" (Modèle).
> But when referring to the actual keyword, what one need to
> write in the code, it seems wrong to translate it. So if you
> would write something like this:
>
> Templates are ... and the keyword used is "template".

Most of the time, templates are translated as "templates". I
think it is better not to add an additional cognitive indirection
by translating the keyword.

The worst translation I ever saw for templates in a french C++
book was "patron". It took me a few seconds to realize what it
was refering to.