DIP 45 - approval discussion

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Sun Nov 10 06:52:55 PST 2013

Am 08.11.2013 20:32, schrieb Walter Bright:

 > And:
 >
 > Exporting of TLS variables is a minor issue. Frankly, I think people
who export global variables should be burned at the stake anyway, why
should we make it even easier? Anyhow, if the user really, really wants
to get himself immolated and export a TLS variable, he can always
manually write the thunk (it is, after all, trivial).

In my opinion it should be possible to add "export:" to the top of every
source file and then compiler a dynamic library which exatcly behaves
like a static library. If you don't want TLS variables in interfaces
this should also be forbidden for interfaces of static libraries,
because this isn't really any difference. This really should be
consistent. Either TLS variabels are not allowed at all within library
interfaces or they are allowed and supported always.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut